What Does It Do?
The main activities of the Council include:
- Business networking functions and opportunities;
- Provision of information to members via a daily email bulletin of trade/economic news from or about Korea, a monthly email bulletin of Korea-related news from the NZ end, and the Website.
- Bilateral joint discussions, through our annual meeting, held alternately in Korea and NZ, with our Korean counterpart organisation;
- Seminars relevant to doing business in Korea;
- Trade delegations to Korea, often in association with New Zealand Trade and Enterprise;
- Hosting of visiting Korean Government and business VIPs;
- Lobbying the two Governments on matters pertaining to trade between the two countries;
- Liaison with New Zealand Trade and Enterprise, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, New Zealand’s Embassy in Korea, and other government agencies on relevant matters, and also with the Korean Embassy in New Zealand.
The Council currently has over 60 paid-up corporate members, who between them would cover a significant proportion of NZ’s merchandise exports to Korea, and some of the earnings from services provided to Korea, as well as some of the imports from Korea. Also many providers of services to trade are actively involved, including New Zealand Trade and Enterprise. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade is an ex-officio member.
Benefits of Membership to Members
- Priority access to a number of networking functions relating to doing business with Korea;
- Ability to network with other business people and government officials involved in commerce with Korea;
- Mentoring of those less experienced in dealing with Korea;
- Ability to take part in an annual joint meeting with our Korean counterpart organisation;
- Active MOU with Export New Zealand;
- Development of new business contacts in both NZ and Korea, the latter especially through our counterpart organisation, the prestigious Korean Chamber of Commerce and Industry;
- Regular consultation and contact with New Zealand Trade and Enterprise, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT), both the NZ Embassy in Korea, and the Korean Embassy in New Zealand and the Korean Trade Office (KOTRA);
- Effective forum for lobbying governments on issues relevant to Korea/New Zealand trade;
- A daily email bulletin for members summarising Korean economic/business news in English – this is the best service of its kind available in New Zealand, also a monthly email bulletin of news at the NZ end relating to trade with Korea;
- Receipt of other information relevant to Korea/New Zealand trade by various means – eg via the Council’s Website ( www.koreanzbc.co.nz ), and other occasional email bulletins;
- Marketing/advertising opportunities through the Council’s Website www.koreanzbc.co.nz
- Active liaison with the Kiwi Chamber of Commerce in Korea (The Kiwi Chamber) and the opportunity for our members to attend their functions during visits to Korea.
How To Join
Please click here, fill it in, and return it with a cheque for the relevant initial annual subscription amount to the Secretariat at the address shown, or send a direct credit to the Council’s bank account. (For new members there is a 50% discount for the first year, and initial subs are pro-rated after 31 May each year to allow for how much of the year has already passed.)